Ah, the eccentricities of Hong Kong small talk. From probing into your salary to moaning about the insufferable humidity, Hong Kong has its own unique set of icebreakers.
1. “Have you eaten yet? Sik jor fahn mei? 食左飯未?”
“Uh, had a bowl of rice, steamed fish, stir-fry vegetables with beef for lunch. Why?”
2. “You’re too thin! Eat more food! gum sou gah，sik dor D la! 咁瘦架，食多D啦！” or “You’re getting fat! Time to go on a diet. Wah，fei jor wor，jong sik gum dor? 嘩，肥左wo，仲食咁多？”
Especially for Chinese aunties and uncles, somehow it seems totally cool to casually comment on your body. No, just no.
3. “So how much money do you make? nei wen gei dor ah? 你搵幾多啊？”
Mmm. Take a guess: Not. a. lot.
4. “OMG why is it so hot outside? gau meng，ho yeet ah! 救命，好熱啊！”
Humidity = Public enemy No.1.
5. “What iPhone model are you using? woon jor sun iPhone? 換左新iPhone啦？”
In this city, even your ar por is up for a heated debate on the merits of bigger screens, what iPhone cases and cameras you should be using, and how, really, Android is actually so much cooler.
6. “I will NEVER be able to move out of my parent’s flat. ah! ngo nee sai doh mo hor neng mai doh lou. 啊！我呢世都無可能買到樓。”
Even if you could move out, you’d be renting all your life. Statistics say it will take the typical Hong Kong family 14 years to save up for a flat. Good luck with that.
7. “Are you seeing anyone? yau mo pak tor jeh? 有無拍拖jeh？”
Nope. Still single. Why, you know somebody?
8. “OMG, I’m so in love with Taiwan. toy wan jun hai ho gwei jeng. 台灣真係好鬼正。”
Yeah, we get it. Everyone gushes over Taiwan. Why don’t you walk me through all your Instagram pics while you’re at it?
And we always end small talk the same way…
9. “Let’s dim sum sometime! Duck harn yum cha! 得閒飲茶!”
Mmhm, of course. Let’s put that in the books…