By Adele Wong | February 14th, 2016
You can spot a Hong Kong hipster from a mile away — but do you know where they gather for their impossibly cool meals? Here are nine clues you’re running amongst the pack.
1. There’s an imposing camouflaged/gray slab (aka door) that you must conquer by code, hidden button or secret handshake before you’re allowed in.
2. You spot a tatted-up chef… or three, within 10 seconds of entering.
3. The waitstaff are actually friendly — and you understand why, when you get the check and notice the service charge is not included.
4. The menu is all sharing platters/tapas/snacks — which basically means you’re paying a whole lot of dough for a tiny bite of food.
5. It might be the walls, the ceiling, or the floor: but look carefully, and you will find artfully brushed concrete somewhere.
6. Vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, shellfish-free, fat-free, flavor-free options are all available.